Corn Chowder Salad
No time for chowder but have the same ingredients on hand, more or less? Make this, robust and bright salad with a buttermilk dressing.
- Substitute halved cherry tomatoes for the bacon
- Substitute cilantro or basil for the parsley
- Substitute smoked trout for the bacon (see comment below)
Serves 4 as light main course
4-5 ears corn, kernels cut off the cob
3 slices bacon, fried, cooled and chopped (optional, see headnote)
5-6 small to medium potatoes, boiled, cooled and diced
3 tablespoons onion, thinly sliced or finely diced
1/3 cup chopped, fresh parsley
1/3 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
2 tablespoons cider vinegar, more to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cook the corn kernels in the pan in which you cooked the bacon, if you’re using bacon, for a few minutes until just heated through and tender. Or cook it in a teaspoon of butter and little splash of water.
2. Put all the salad ingredients in a serving bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl or small jar. Dress, toss, taste and adjust for seasoning.